Please keep in mind that all honors students must complete either an educational video or a research paper. The research paper should be 3 – 5 pages long and have footnoted citations. The paper should be double spaced and 12 point font. Turn it in by this Friday, April 8th if you want me to give feedback before the due date on April 15th. See me if you have question on this.
For astronomy the research questions are:
- What is the science behind how stars shine? How do we know this?
- What is entropy and how is it significant to the processes we see in the night sky?
- What is gravity and how is it significant to the structures we see in the night sky?
Choose one for the paper or make a 3 – 5 minute educational video on any of the three topics.
For Rocketry either write a 3 – 5 page paper or make a 3 – 5 minute educational video on the following topics:
- What is the significance of the nozzle in creating the thrust necessary to get the rocket off the ground? How do designs optimize the shape to create the most thrust?
- What are the major differences between solid and liquid fuels in the design and performance of a rocket?
- How are scientists able to use the mathematics of orbital mechanics to create precise flight paths through the vastness of space?
For Weather Balloon Science write a 3- 5 page paper or create a 3 – 5 minute video on one of the following questions:
- How have humans used high altitude balloons to understand weather systems?
- What is the science behind how high altitude balloons? How does the balloon system create lift and fall back to earth? How is the balloon recovered? How does the gps system work?
- How does sound work?